I have received a number of requests for the ‘notes’ that are not part of the regular PowerPoint slides for the AWE-thentic series based on Galatians 5:22-23 on the Fruit of the Spirit. These are the notes attached to “Christian” but I’ve included the PowerPoints as well (for those that haven’t seen the sermons, “Christian” is my cardboard stunt double who’s being a stand for some of my sermon points).
I have put in bold the sections that are ‘PowerPoint’ and those that are ‘Christian.’ I will update this post next week when we conclude the series with Part 3. Hope you enjoy! (If you know of anyone who does not get these updates from the website but could use these notes please pass them along).
MESSAGE #1 – THE BIG THREE
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (Gal. 5:22-23 NLT)
The Fruit of the Spirit is the harvest of the investments we make in spiritual growth and Spirit-led living
The BIG 3
These are the most difficult to attain and maintain by personal pursuit alone.
Love – ἀγάπη
We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. (1 John 3:16 NLT)
- A choice, not a feeling
- Seeking the welfare of others
- Sets aside own wants and preferences
- Gracious and large of heart
LOVE PRODUCES LIFE!
- When love exists, we feel alive!!
Joy – χαρὰ
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. (Heb. 12:2 NLT)
- Identity rooted in communion with the Spirit
- Assurance of place in Kingdom and future hope
- Confident in God’s love
- Not fragile – not dashed easily by circumstances
JOY PRODUCES ENERGY!
- Joy is about celebration
- If no joy exists, it soon becomes drudgery
- Our spiritual lives suffer when joy and celebration are gone
Peace – εἰρήνη
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. (Col. 3:15 NLT)
- Builds up – sees people as broken in need of grace
- Team minded
- Works towards reconciliation and healing
- Sees greater purpose in suffering
PEACE PRODUCES WHOLENESS!
MESSAGE #2 – THE OUTWARD THREE
The Outward 3
These are the most visible to others.
Patience – μακροθυμία
But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. (1Tim. 1:16)
And remember, our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved. This is what our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him (2Pet. 3:15)
- Patient – with the failures and slights of others
- Slow to take offense, especially revenge
- Perseverance/endurance under hardship
PATIENCE PRODUCES GRACE
Kindness – χρηστότης
He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding. (Eph. 1:7)
In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. (1Pet. 5:10)
- The disposition to treat others well
- To help and to become a harbour in troubled times
- We show kindness because of God’s kindness shown to us
KINDNESS PRODUCES LOVE IN ACTION
Goodness – ἀγαθωσύνη
I am fully convinced, my dear brothers and sisters, that you are full of goodness. You know these things so well you can teach each other all about them. (Rom. 15:14)
But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light. (1Pet. 2:9)
- Our generosity overflows into the lives of others
- We respond to needs, in the compassion of Christ
- We uplift the quality of people’s lives around us
GOODNESS PRODUCES GENEROSITY
Stay tuned for next week’s concluding episode!